Jul 25, 2011

Day 42 Quesadillos (LeAnn)

From Ennis, we biked toward Whitehall. There were some beautiful rolling hills along the way (notice I say beautiful because they were mostly downhill in our favor). We had bought a two pound bag of shredded cheese the night before because it was on sale and two pounds of tortillas, so that was our late lunch. Ben and I generally eat about two pounds of food per meal. So that ends up being around six pounds of food a day between the two of us. I think I have at least doubled my caloric intake and still continue to lose weight.

After eating lunch, we left just as a storm was coming in like we always do. I had second thoughts about getting on the major interstate of Montana especially in a storm, but we did anyway. During the first couple of miles, we barely moved because the wind and rain were coming head on into us. We were fortunate to have a nice wide shoulder to bike on. Soon we found ourselves in Whitehall taking refuge at another library to wait out the storm.

The worse of the storm passed after a few hours and we kept pedaling up the highway. Another rainbow shone behind us, I wouldn't have noticed it if Ben hadn't looked back. Then we had an uphill stretch to tackle. It was Homestake Pass at 6,356 feet. We made it over, just before nightfall and found a truck stop to sleep at for the night. I made some very cheesy pasta for dinner, (we had to use the rest of the cheese before it went bad) as Ben filtered some water at a nearby stream and put up the tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment