Jul 25, 2011

Day 44 I love rest stops! (LeAnn)

This morning we woke up to the sunrise, around 5:30am. Our down sleeping bags were pretty soaked from the night before and we needed to find a less conspicuous spot to rest. So we packed up our things and headed for the next rest stop a few miles down the road. It was perfect. There were picnic tables covered by roofs and walls for privacy. That was all we needed. If a person really wanted to, they could bike all through the night and then sleep during the day because for some reason it isn't illegal to sleep at rest stops and picnic areas during the day, but it is at night. Of course, then you would miss the scenery.

Even though I hadn't gotten much sleep, I was wide awake. We heated up frozen bean and cheese burritos for breakfast and then I gave Ben a much needed massage and let him sleep for a couple of hours. I caught up on my pushups, and sit ups (that was something we had decided to do along with biking everyday, but had slacked off for a while).

After resting, we biked to the next rest stop where there was a beautiful pond to swim in. Ben and I swam with a family of ducks and I came out with a bunch of baby leeches attached to my feet. Then we practiced rolls and falls for a while and Ben taught me how to properly roll on the ground when leaping into the air and then doing a somersault.

We continued biking toward Missoula and found a perfect spot to camp in the national forest just a few miles off the highway. We followed the road until we came to a little turnoff for a fishing spot at a river and carried our things across the river to a tiny island where the river forked and ran on both sides. There were little white and yellow daisies growing everywhere and a full moon lit up the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment